Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Feb 11 13:26:21 2007

Hi Philippe,

I am late to this party, but anyway...you know my style, since you
always look at my PAWs. At this time, I have the following Canon L lenses:

2.8/16-35mm: I must have a good copy, since I am quite pleased with the
image quality

1.4/35mm: superb lens, comes close to the Summilux; most of my available
darkness images are made with this lens

2.8/24-70mm: this is the lens I use most often, simply because of
convenience. The quality is good, but it is IMO not on par with the
fixed focal length lenses in this range, but then again, that is usually
the case with zooms. But the quality is still very good. The lens is
big, and it has a weird form factor, since it becomes loooong when you
zoom to 24mm.

2/135mm: From the point of view of optical quality, this is probably the
best lens I own. It is fully on par with the Leica R lenses I used to own.

I recently sold my 2.8/200mm--it was an excellent lens, but I like to
keep the outfit small enough to fit into my Domke bag, and so I got a
1.4x teleconverter instead--when I put it on the 135mm, I end up with a
2.8/190mm lens, i.e. almost the same as before, and with a considerably
lighter bag.

When reading my comments re optical quality, keep in mind that I use a
body with a 1.3 sensor crop, so I do not see the imperfections at the
very edges of the image circle.

Also, the people who have praised the 17-40mm are right--it is an
excellent lens, and the choice between it and the 16-35mm depends
largely on whether you need the extra stop of the 16-35. I do, but your
mileage may very...

All of the lenses mentioned will seem big compared with Leica M lenses
of similar focal length and aperture, but they really are not bigger
than corresponding Leica R lenses.
Cheers,
Nathan