Subject: [Leica] Re: NY restaurants
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Feb 9 20:53:55 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Jerry wrote:

> I'm sure glad that I don't live in a picturesque part of the country.
> It means less tourists bidding up prices and making
> restaurant reservations hard to get. Like in Boston or New York.  I
> had
> to make reservations a MONTH in advance
> for Raio's in NY!
>
> Jerry

Believe it or not, one of the very best restaurants in the New York
area is Xaviar's at Piermont (www.xaviars.com). Zagat's rates it 29
out of a possible 30. To quote Zagat's fulsome praise:

"Please let the food in heaven be like this sigh the sated at
virtuoso chef Peter Kelly's magical Piermont gem. Exquisite New
American fare, phenomenal waiters, beautiful china and glassware and
a romantic, intimate yet elegant dining room make it the best on the
planet."

I've been there and its all true. A bit expensive though. The prix
fixe dinner is $60 without wine. ($30 for lunch) If you have stripped
your wallet by buying too much Leica gear, the far more informal
Freelance Bar and Cafe next door has food that is just as good at a
substantially lower price. No surprise since they both share the same
kitchen. The Freelance Bar has a no reservations policy and most
weekdays it is relatively easy to get a table, especially if you go
for lunch or like an early dinner.

Piermont is a peninsula extending into the Hudson River from the
western shore, about 20 miles north of Manhattan. Easy to get to if
you have a car. It used to be the eastern terminal of the Erie
Railroad. Now it is an upscale art and dining mecca.

Now I've revealed the most precious gourmet secret of the Hudson
Valley. Keep it under your hats.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Re: NY restaurants)
Reply from charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer) ([Leica] Re: NY restaurants)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: NY restaurants)