Subject: [Leica] Re: Mounting canvas prints
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Feb 9 17:34:45 2007

I forgot who asked about it but my wife, an accomplished painter and
art museum curator, suggested another technique for mounting prints
on canvas. Buy a pre-stretched and primed art canvas of the right
size. She prefers Fredrix Gallery Wrap because the stretchers are
stiffer than the usual pre-stretched canvas. Cut your print to fit
the canvas without leaving an overlap. Coat the canvas with a vinyl
based wallpaper paste available at any paint store or Home Depot for
about $15 a gallon. Lay the print on the canvas and smooth out all
wrinkles. The paste takes about 24 hours to set so the position of
the print can be adjusted for several hours. When dry, frame it as
you would a painting. It will look exactly the same as a
traditionally mounted painting.

This technique is used by art conservators who want to remount old
paintings where there is insufficient margin to staple the canvas to
wooden stretchers. It is also used for old oils which would crack if
stretched.

Larry Z