Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica IIIf gear
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Feb 9 17:33:34 2007

At 08:04 PM 2/9/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >The meter is a Leica product. I have one buried in the bottom of my
 >defunct gear drawer. It is more than 50 years old and the selenium
 >cells have died. The winglike extension is a low light booster. I
 >have no idea what the code is.

Selenium cells almost never die.  It is far more
likely that part of the rather complex mechanical
linkage broke, Larry.  George Milton at Quality
Light-Metric can fix you up in short order.  I
use a Weston 715 as my daily meter, and that one
dates from 1938.  Selenium matches the response
levels of chemical emulsions more closely than do
later formulations such as CdS or the like.

Stick with selenium!  It is the way to go!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!