Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT: To Crop Or Not
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Fri Feb 9 15:56:52 2007

The world does not take place on a fixed ratio stage.

I usually see a picture before I point the camera. Must I impose the
will of the format on reality? Which format?

If I see a panoramic composition, must I purchase a Widelux before I
am allowed to take the photo?

What exactly is the format of 120 film? Is it horizontal or square?
Which of the possible negatives of that film is "natural?"

The reason to compose in the viewfinder is to get the maximum
possible performance from your film or sensor.

If you find that an exercise on fitting reality into a proscenium
stage is an something that entertains you, knock yourself out.

Ric Carter