Subject: [Leica] WTB: 35mm f2 super bokeh lens
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Feb 8 15:49:57 2007

No, the optical formula of the third and fourth versions of the 35/2M
are not the same. The second and third versions have the same optical
formula of six elements in four groups. The fourth version (Mandler)
has seven elements in five groups.

The fourth version (79-97) is the one that is known as the "king of
boke". However there is a lot of confusion over just what it is
famous for. It is only in the middle apertures that it is creamy
smooth in the transition from in focus to out of focus. Wide open it
has some pretty vicious spherical aberrations.

There were some reports of loose front elements in the fourth
version. I never had any trouble with mine.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] WTB: 35mm f2 super bokeh lens)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] WTB: 35mm f2 super bokeh lens)