Subject: [Leica] Rollei
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Feb 7 21:17:51 2007

At 10:51 PM 2/7/2007, G Hopkinson wrote:
 >Hey, we're almost sort of on topic. We are talking about classic
 >German cameras.
 >
 >I finally ended up with the Rolleicord Vb 2. It's awfully nice. The
 >brighter finder is a big leap forward from what I'd seen
 >previously.
 >
 >Cheers
 >Hoppy

If you keep this up, I'll get you signed up yet
to the Rollei List yet, a sister to the LUG, and thanks, Brian!

Franke & Heidecke perfected the modern TLR (yes,
yes, there had been plate-camera TLR's earlier,
but the concept was moribund when they switched
from stereo cameras to the TLR in 1929).  They
chose for reasons of optical purity a
first-surface mirror in the viewing
cabinet..  For reasons of economy, they chose a
silver surface as aluminum surfaces on mirrors
were then most expensive and also an oddity.

Clean the mirror.  This will dissolve any
remnants of the silver coating, I fear, but, a
clean bare glass surface will do rather well on
its own merits.  (I know:  I've been there, done
that, and have the Tee-Shirt).  It would be
better to have the mirror recoated.  I have been
into amateur astronomy long enough (more than
four decades) to be able to send you instructions
for doing the silvering yourself at home, though
you will be dealing with some rather nasty
substances so caution is in order.  There MAY be
firms in Australia which will do this as well,
though I do not know of any such.  (I had a time
finding US firms still doing silvering for the
Great Guru of US Rollei Repairs, and I finally
located three of them.  I kept encouraging him to do it himself.)

There are certainly firms which will coat this
mirror with aluminum, as you guys call it.  (Our
Aluminium Company of America in my hometown of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, bought a sign
immediately before they opened their doors to the
public.  The signpainters left out that last "i"
and it was cheaper to revise the corporate
filings than to get a new sign, so youse guys say
"aluminium" while usans say "aluminum", as we
would say back in da Burg.  Go figure.  Stan
Yoder probably knows more of this:  he has a
handle on ALL of the mysterious elements of
Western Pennsylvania life, and he DID keep a
number of my distant cousins from the sort of
life of ruin and ill-repute to which I've been
reduced.  <he grins>)  There are long arguments
about this in the astronomical community, as
silver coatings are fragile and easily decay but
more accurately reflect the wavelengths seen by
the human eye, while aluminium coatings are
tougher and more stable and respond better to photographic wavelengths.

And, of course, you should CAREFULLY take out the
screen, noting the paper shims, and clean this
off.  Yours might be glass or it might be
plastic, but, in either event, a dunk into a
kitchen sink laden with a decent detergent would
be salutary.  (I would wash the skillet in which
you cooked up your Australian Ugly-Lipped Eels or
Kippered Kangaroo AFTER you wash the viewing
screen, mind you!)  An old toothbrush might well
be useful for the task though I'd not use the
stiff wire brush you use to get the gunk out of
the rear brake drums on your 1953 Sunbeam Talbot
Roadster.  Like things to like things, and all of that.

To cut to the quick, my friend, I would suggest
that you remove the viewing mirror and have it
recoated with aluminium and with an overcoat.  I
would also suggest that you remove the viewing
screen, carefully preserving any paper shims
which may or may not be beneath it, and scrub the
daylights out of this with dish soap.

That Prince of Darkness, Joe Lucas, will again be
defeated, and Bob's your uncle.  QED.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!