Subject: [Leica] IR filters
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Feb 6 12:24:10 2007

At 1:03 PM -0600 2/6/07, Lottermoser George wrote:
>Thanks Henning and Leonard. I guess this about as much as I can
>expect. The real learning comes from use of one of them and
>determining if I want more less cut off of the visible spectrum.
>That about right?
>
>Regards,
>George Lottermoser
>george@imagist.com
>

>On Feb 6, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Henning Wulff wrote:
>
>>Or, if you are ordering Heliopan filters anyway, order a #5715
>>which is an 88A equivalent, which cuts out more of the visible than
>>the 89B and lets in more shorter wavelegths than the 87. This would
>>be the ideal filter for most IR photography, as it allows shorter
>>exposures than the 87 but still allows a stronger IR effect in most
>>ways equivalent to the 87.

George, i've got pretty much the whole range in 3x3 gels from Kodak
from a long time ago, so I can try out various ones and see which I
like best. I also have a Leica IR filter which is 89B equivalent, and
093 and 092 B+W from a while ago.

I'll probably get a Heliopan 5715 for the lenses I'll use most for
IR. The APO Aspheric lenses are best for IR, but are not the right
focal length for what I want to do most which is wideangle. So a 55mm
filter for the 21 with step down rings should be about right. I still
have a snap on gel filter holder for careful use on all other lenses,
including the 15 and 12.

The newer aspheric lenses are a lot better for IR than earlier
designs, as they are better colour corrected and will give sharper
results in IR as well. Some older lenses will give quite soft results
in IR even at optimum apertures. The VC lenses tend to be better than
50's Leica lenses, but not as good as current Leica offereings.
Pretty much the same results as in the visible spectrum.

If you want to try stuff, get this holder:

http://tinyurl.com/2ameea

after rooting around camera shops for old drawers full of (older) gel
filters. You can still pick up various Kodak gels for $5 each with a
bit of patience.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design