Subject: [Leica] planars and vinyl v. CD
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Feb 3 15:26:16 2007

Jeffery,
although I'm  a great fan of Bernstein, as a composer and conductor. I
never quite forgave him for what a mess he made of Sibelius Symphony No.
2. If you listen to it in a comparison with Vladimir Ashkenazy's version
you would think they were two totally different pieces of music. The
power and grace of Sibelius, the wide rolling musical landscapes and his
deep sense of patriotism is thoroughly lost by Lennie - possibly the
worst record I ever bought. But he definitely made up for it with his
recording of Candide.
Talking of Bernstein, I picked almost a full set of CBS Masterworks on
vinyl a while back. Someone else got there first and picked off most of
the Mozart, which didn't bother me much, the rest was good enough for
me, Bruch, Barber, Hindemith, Lygeti,..... and even a superb Bernstein
performance of Charles Ives Holidays Symphony, -the 4th of July movement
is absolutely stunning. (and it makes the cat leave the room :-) )
Happy listening
Douglas

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] planars and vinyl v. CD)