Subject: [Leica] Hell's Grannies, Rockers and scifi movies
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Feb 2 05:30:37 2007

It was the show that started with "Somewhere in the future" and cut to a
shot of the station sign "New Pudsey".
At the time I was in fact long haired(just over the collar and ears),
something unheard of in British Grammar Schools, but not a rocker - I
misspent my youth reading good science fiction books - not Star Trek -
that is NOT science fiction, its futuristic soap opera (space opera) -

BTW: How to make a successful episode of Star Trek, Alien etc.
The proverbial scifi movie:
Intro with bombastic music  "oooo wee ooowee ee weee ooo" and fly your
spaceship past the camera with zzzzzzt wooooosh FX off
1) find your alien (Note: it should always have at least two legs, two
arms and a semblance of a head (neck not required) It's level of evil is
based on the number of warts and tentacles it has.
2) let it shoot, eat. rape  an unimportant member of the cast. Shoud the
caharceter be more significant, i.e needed in the next instalment,
sequel, then kidnap, imprison, move t another planet, time or dimension..
3) let it take over your space ship - "Scotty? Aye Jim I canna do a
thing its in control of the warp drive, transporter room, phasers,
photon torpedos etc."
Why are all engineers Scottish, "it must be an ancient charter, a
tradition or something"  (quote from Robert (not Ian) Rankin)
4) chase it down endless corridors and ventilation ducts
5) kill it after having a long discussion (Aliens always speak English)
during which it could have killed you ten times over
6) titles and cut
7) make sure the next episode is vaguely amusing (usually a total failure)

"Spock, Did you know a Vulcan is a bomber,  not a pointy-eared know-it
-all prat? "Fascinating, Jim."

Cheers
Douglas