Subject: [Leica] Advice on what to see
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Jan 31 21:46:26 2007

Ernie:  I second Will's mention of Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon, and
the joys of playing in the desert more than in the city of Las Vegas
itself.  But that's my taste.  For a sneak preview, see my Nevada gallery.
I was there in early November, the week the magenta hit the fan.  So I got
to see red rocks instead of seeing red over pink.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/nevada

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is an easy drive from Las Vegas.  I
prefer the North Rim, but it's 1000 feet higher, harder to reach, and I'm
not sure if it's open this time of year.  For the South Rim, you could stay
a night in Flagstaff so you could spend a whole day at the Rim.  I think
it's well worth it.  If possible, a sunrise or sunset is a must, as that's
when the colors come alive.

As for Vegas, the Bellagio hotel (Italianate) is actually pretty classy and
fun to walk around.  The rainbow shot with Eiffel Tower in my gallery is of
the fountain show the Bellagio gives every half hour or so.  I saw an Ansel
Adams exhibit there, and they had great gelato.  There was a Maplethorpe
exhibit at the Venetian.   The fake Paris is interesting.  We found the
Moon guidebook to Las Vegas to be the most useful.

Basically, pick a theme you like, and they probably have a hotel dedicated
to it.  They have all sorts of entertainment, from the most
"family-oriented" to the sleaziest. Chacun a son gout.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] We're Now a Charity Book)