Subject: [Leica] quick release plates
From: jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler)
Date: Wed Jan 31 19:15:52 2007

Hello,

For RF's?

Unless you just insist upon spending the money for a serious SLR ball head /
release platform, get a Bogen.

I use the 488-RC4, which has a quick release plate and horiz / vert bubble
levels on it.  It was sturdy enough for my D2H, w/ 80-200mm, f/2.8 AFS &
Metz strobe setup on it, and it certainly handles my "little" M's.  My
ballhead is well-used (and going on 7 years old) and still works as good as
new.

Of course I'm not the brand-purist that some may be.  I actually own and
shoot a Minolta CLE and Rokkor lenses along with my M's and Summicrons.

Still, getting a Bogen instead of an Arca Swiss will save you enough to
start saving for a new lens or buy a used one...

Jeff M