Subject: [Leica] Quick release plates
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Wed Jan 31 18:33:52 2007

Has anyone tried the Acratech ballhead and quick release plates?  I tried it
at the photo store and was really impressed.

Bob Rose

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:15:55 -0800
From: <allen.graves@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] quick release plates
To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
Cc: Lottermoser George <imagist3@mac.com>

Really Right Stuff makes the best finished, best fitting plates. They are
precisely designed for exactly the lens or body they are sold to fit.In my
experience, Kirk plates are not nearly as well finished -sharp edges,
burrs,etc, though they still work wekk. ( have some of both). Also, I have a
personal prejudice against Kirk since their business model for years seemed
to be "just copy anything new RRS makes".

The current owner of RRS is really innovative and has lots of great new
products.

The Wimberly stuff seems nice: i just have not had any reason to leave RRS.
Arca plates are generic  and don't fit nearly as precisely as the RRS or
Kirk plates and really aren't in the same league. I use the Arca ballhead
and love it, though the RRS and Kirk ballheads look like a step up. I just
don't need a new one.

Feel free to email me off list if you have any specific questions.

Allen

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Quick release plates)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Quick release plates)