Subject: [Leica] Adobe Lightroom Vs. Apple Aperture
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jan 29 17:02:29 2007

On 1/29/07 7:17 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> Ummmmm.....well.....Aperture is becoming a useful program. It does
> some things very very nicely and other things, not so much.
>
> I don't get what you're saying about the difference between Windows on
> a laptop vs OS X on a laptop though.
>
> I know that Aperture makes intense use of the video card's memory for
> much of its image manipulation and few laptops have anything to really
> match a high-end desktop system in that regard. Laptops also have a
> lower I/O bandwidth (in general) than their larger desk-top brethren.
> This shouldn't surprise anyone since laptops have a much tighter
> energy and component budget than desktop systems do.
>
> Anyone making the change to Windows Vista will have serious doubts
> about your suggestion that Mr Bill thinks you can use any ol' laptop.
> If it's more than a year old: forget it. I freely admit that this
> information is only from reading reviews of Vista by people who have
> installed it and dealt with issues, performance being only one of
> them.
>
> The continued contest between Lightroom and Aperture is a Good Thing.
> I'm hoping the new/improved Aperture team fixes the software issues
> that slow it down on Intel hardware, esp laptops.
>
> Adam
>
> On 1/29/07, Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>> On 1/29/07 6:34 PM, "Allen Graves" <allen.graves@charter.net> typed:
>>
>>> Anybody here like Adobe Lightroom enough to pay $299 for it?
>>> Introductory price $199.
>>>
>>> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
>>>
>>> Full price seems a little steep to me unless they have added a fair
>>> amount of function to the beta.
>>>
>>> Allen
>>
>> Sounds like a great thing but the obvious comparison question is how does
>> it
>> stack up to APPLE APERTURE? I'm sure that could be found all over but I
>> know
>> the people here. And I know some have used both. And both seem to be for
>> the
>> same things. No ones chiming in WHAT!?!!?! get Aperture instead so I
>> assume
>> its not a big deal. And I'm working off laptops not mainframes. That would
>> be an APPLE drawback as I understand it. They build software to try to
>> make
>> you get a bigger newer computer. Gates thinks you can use an old Laptop as
>> far as he cares. Didn't use to be like that.
>> When Word 4 came out you needed a new computer to run it.
>> Something like that.
>>
>> Mark Rabiner
>> New York, NY
>> 40?47'59.79"N
>> 73?57'32.37"W
>>
>> markrabiner.com

The  newer Macs and this thing is almost exactly one year old, the newer
Macs have the Intel chips and its like you have to have that or the stuff
just doesn't barely work. The Lightroom would I think.
The idea of getting two computers in two years seems much for me. I'd rather
get an M8 in a month from now.
But I need a bigger hard drive anyway its not working out having another one
tethered with my body of work in it. I have to order a Mocha for it too at
starbucks. No I've not brought my laptop to starbucks. And that's why.
Oh that extra socket in the wall with the cord it seems like too much.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W