Subject: [Leica] Some time with an M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 29 15:35:20 2007

Wade Heninger said & and showed:
>>> I've not looked at the color at all - probably won't - and as
soon as I can get a "always preview in B/W" option in Lightroom, I'll
probably never see it so the IR and WB issues just are not an issue for me.
Here are a few pictures:
http://www.heninger.org/gallery/victoria/<<<<

Hi Wade,
hey some nice photos including some of my garden bits and pieces! :-)

To the crew regarding my garden .  :-)

Wade and I had a wonderful afternoon last Friday during his visit to
Victoria, had some lunch and a good old fashion photo gab session about new
stuff and old ..... M8 etc.

Wade you've posted an overall fine series of what an M camera can do in the
hands of talent! :-)

As I watched you clicking away like a kid with a new toy (it is)  it was
obvious how
well you handled the M8,  it didn't matter film or digital, it was an M
camera in hands and flying! :-)

It's unfortunate there have been a number of problems with the M8 shooting
colour. On the other hand I can honestly say in all the years I've shot with
M cameras they were never used but a miniscule moment or two for colour.

I also realize many folks have but one camera for their shooting whatever
type of film.

Mine were B&W cameras! When push came to shove in super bad light
situations it was an M, Noctilux and whatever the slide film of the day was
at F1.0 and being there.

When colour was required it was 99.999999999% Leica SLR's of some model or
other. And I certainly appreciate the frustrations of M8 owners over the
colour situation, however.

In all honesty, I can't for the life of me understand why you don't send
them back, get your money returned and get on with life.  But oh no, it's
day after day of e-mail tales of woe and whine about a faulty machine that
requires "add on fixing!"

Surely if you were to purchase any other appliance and were told, "well it's
not quite right, but we're going to send you the parts for you to "add on"
and that'll fix the problem."

Wouldn't you scream bloody murder for a refund and return it?

If nothing else, family members who've whined and kept their machines have
an amazingly high degree of tolerance for faulty equipment.

However, as noted by one member something like.. "I can't imagine just
letting it sit on the shelf gathering dust until the fix it filters arrive.
I'd be working it to death shooting B&W and learning all the idiosyncrasies
of the camera and it's inner workings!"

Despite what I said above about sending it back.

That's an absolutely champion idea. And what I'd do before giving into
whining. I might have a word or two of bitching, but having popped five
grand I'd sure make that puppy work as hard as possible until the fixing
filter arrived. Then put it in the bag ....." just in case some day I needed
to shoot some M colour!" :-)

And the camera would continue to be a B&W machine. ERGO: no colour problems.
And smiling all the way to the finished photograph. Sans whine. ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Some time with an M8)