Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 Filter Images , planars and vinyl v. CD
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jan 29 15:22:35 2007

I have pretty straightforward B+W DM110 studio monitor speakers
(anything else is too big for the room, but I dream of somewhere big
enough to put a pair of Nautilus speakers), my deck for vinyl is a Rega
Planar. 3 Funny how everyone picks the name planar.
Yes indeed, a lot of vinyl is wonderful, I just love proving it to
people when I've got something duplicated on vinyl and CD.
Sibelius Symphony No2 conducted by Ashkenazy is one of the best examples
- or there's a guitar recital record (I forget which one) by Pepe Romero
where you can clearly hear and locate in space a sparrow chirping in the
rafters of the recording studio on the LP, but hardly at all on CD.
For pop and rock fans, Thomas Dolby and the Thompson Twins, and almost
anything with acoustic guitar or pianos, are 10 times better on black
plastic. The bombastic sound of Mountain's Mississippi Queen is a real
ear cleaner too.
Cheers
Douglas