Subject: [Leica] b/w processing: big shifts
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sun Jan 28 00:29:49 2007

Well, I have fiddled with getting processing standardized for years,
but now I have the set up to do it right, and I finally found a
second-hand 205FCC with the zone system, so this week end I fired up
the Densitometer and began testing film.

I started with APX 25 in Rodinal 1:50. Nightmare. By the time I'd
finished I discovered that the true rating of this film in my camera
system is ISO 8. I also discovered that my processing times were
quite a bit tooooo long, so I moved to FP4+  in ID11. Well the final
outcome of that was that the rating of the film was 2/3 stops slower
than the 125 ISO and the processing time was 60% less than recommended:

I know I should have done this stuff a long time ago, but I never
thought it would be so far out of "normal". Is this why so many
people recommend doing these rather boring, time consuming and
expensive tests ?

So the weekend is over and I have a new set of processing times for
APX 25 and FP4+. I need to test a 400 ISO film next: the things we do
for our "art" ;-)

Hope you had a more productive weekend

Cheers

Alastair