Subject: [Leica] How to make a Leica SLING
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Jan 25 12:10:45 2007

George

The sling is a very useful, and very elegant Leica accessory piece. Here's
my DIY hint:

Its basically a 2cm large nylon stripe with 3 holes, plus a small keyring.
See it on their website at http://www.leicagoodies.com/cropped.sling1.jpg

Depending your finger thickness the length may vary. My stripe is about 20cm
long (my fingers have average thickness). The 3 holes (diameter approx 7mm)
are at the two ends (about 8mm away), and one in the middle. Fold it like a
"S" that all holes are at the same place, put them over the camera lug, and
rotate the keyring through the lug, over the stripes. That's a painful
tinkering the first time (used a thin screwdriver), but meanwhile I change
it from camera to camera frequently.

It looks like a heatened awl or something similar has been put through the
holes, slightly melting the border of it and thus making it very stable
(maybe you know the trick from melting the end of a cut nylon rope with a
lighter).

Try the size out with a stripe of cotton or strong paper. Good luck
Didier