Subject: [Leica] IMG: Firelight
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Jan 23 15:51:36 2007

> PESO:
>
> I'm going to quit working in a few minutes ;-)  But I'm still
> processing these very low light photos and appreciate your comments
> about whether or not they are pushing the edge too much.  This one I
> think shows a little slice of life here.  I've always wondered how
> these couples could have 10 or 12 kids when they lived in a one room
> house.  This is an OLD couple with grandkids and they've both worked
> hard all day in the field and hauling firewood and water and making
> tortillas.  The wife is still roasting coffee beans on the top of the
> stove but when they finally have a chance to sit down, they only have
> eyes for each other.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/73465593
>
> Maybe I'm reading too much into the photo again because I know the
> people. Comments and criticisms welcome.

This is a beautiful intimate scene, and wonderful use of available light.
The colour versions of your images are all great, but I was surprised to
find myself still preferring the b/w image of one you showed earlier. The
communication between them is evident, though the stove does stand as a
"barrier", perhaps reflecting that they cannot always be as close as they
would like. Could the man's face be lightened a little to bring him into
the "centre of attention" a bit more, as your eye is drawn to the fire
away from the action a bit.

Cheers