Subject: [Leica] Drowning in digital files
From: dankhong at gmail.com (D Khong)
Date: Mon Jan 22 12:06:58 2007

Friends

I don't shoot in RAW but still have a mammoth task handling the sometimes
hundreds of images captured because digital photography is like a buffet
banquet, we take more than we need.

I try to make it a point to print as many photos that I can for inclusion in
my albums or framed display. It is amazing how digital photography captures
more images than the days of film but paradoxically less hard copies are
produced. I may be old fashioned but at the end of the day, we flip through
albums for memories but digital files are intangible and easily forgotten.

As for my digital images, I keep those that I want to see on my Mac i-Photo
and transfer the rest to my iPod which serves as a back-up hard drive. As a
ball park figure, say out of 100 images that I capture digitally, I will
cull about 10-20 at source. Of the 80 left, about 30-40 stays on my Mac in
i-Photo where I can retag them.  I print out about 10-20 of the best for my
album.  When that workflow is done, I will save the 80 images into my iPod
and assign a name and date for that event.

Just my o2 cents worth.

Dan K.

Replies: Reply from jpphoto at hci.net (John Payne) ([Leica] Drowning in digital files)