Subject: [Leica] Leica 111c instructions -- dinky VF/RF
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Jan 20 18:08:53 2007

Some folks do have problems with the LTM camera's
squinty VF and RF.  I do not, but then I've been
using these for donkey's years and have accomodated.

The LTM cameras have issues with this, with their
short RF baseline, with film loading, with the
slowness of lens exchange,  and with the fiddlin' nature of the shutter
speeds.

Another option is a Contax II, the camera Oscar
Barnack wished he had designed.  These can now be
had rather cheaply on eBay (though prices are
rising) or in their Ukrainian clones, the Kiev RF
line.  These cameras have a magnificent combined
VF/RF, a combined speed dial running from 1
second (if you know the trick) to 1/1250", an
easy lens exchange by a bayonet mount, an opening
back, conventional film loading, AND they offer
cassette-to-cassette film transport for those of
us Scots-descended tightwads who roll our own film.

And most Contax lenses can be found at prices
lower than those for their late Leitz equivalents
-- AND the lenses are properly coated with the Smakula process.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica 111c instructions -- dinky VF/RF)