Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Jan 20 08:27:07 2007

At 03:01 AM 1/20/2007, you wrote:
>As for the substance of the discussion--the issue of exploitation is
>as old as journalism itself (not just photojournalism)--consider the
>debate about the Migrant Mother image, or Capa's image from the
>Spanish Civil War. Even Tina can be accused (not by me) of
>"exploiting" the people in Central America she photographs so well,
>although in her case the "exploitation" is designed to benefit these
>very people by raising the profile of the charities that help them.
>
>Nathan

I have heard this accusation many time, Nathan, but what I'm doing
would not fit any definition of exploitation that I can find.  I make
no money personally from the photos from Central America.  All of the
money raised using the photos, over $1,000,000 so far just in my
presbytery, has gone straight back to the developmental agencies
dedicated to helping the people in the photographs.  I've been
friends with many of the families that I photograph for over 20
years.  They are close, loving families who welcome me into their
homes and are proud that I want to photograph them.

Concise Oxford English Dictionary.
exploit

   make use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
   make use of unfairly; benefit unjustly from the work of.

Concise Oxford Thesaurus
exploitation

  the exploitation of mineral resources: UTILIZATION, use, making use
of, making the most of, capitalization on; informal cashing in on.
  the exploitation of the poor: TAKING ADVANTAGE, abuse, misuse,
ill-treatment, unfair treatment, oppression.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/dimes_for_hunger