Subject: [Leica] Re:photographing the homeless
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 07:21:25 2007

Steve,
  Ok, I read a trace of smugness in this line:

Steve Unsworth wrote:
> Praise be to the USA where a homeless person can be sued for $1 million
>
> Steve

  Forgive me for reading tone of voice into email messages, always a
dangerous
thing.

  Anyway, I've traveled to Europe many times and I have seen the problems of
poverty and homelessness there as well. Sure, you're right, they do react in
the
same way but maybe their safety net is stronger and holds more people up
than
we do in the US. On the other hand, many of these same Europeans and
Canadians flock to the US to work for higher wages because they don't want
pay the higher taxes that come with more social services. A Dutch guy I know
at
work basically said that he wanted it all, high wages in the US, and
retirement in
Amsterdam with all of the social benefits. Many people want to eat their
cake
and have it too...

  From an article in the Time today on Martin Munkacsi, Bresson's
inspiration for
his work:

  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/arts/design/19munk.html

"The Nazis were already identifying Jewish photographers and Jewish-run
publishers like Ullstein when Munkacsi did a spread on Hitler and Goebbels
in
Potsdam, showing an immaculate column of Nazi soldiers on the march. He
clearly wasn?t political, or especially clairvoyant, and an argument in the
catalog
that these pictures slyly criticized Hitler ignores plain sight."

  The banality of evil. At least the Nazis had such nice uniforms, always
pressed
and clean...

  Larry

---------
smug ? why smug Larry ? They have the same problems and dilemmas as
we,  here in the US...

very visible, heart rending, common...

and they deal with these as we often do... uncertainty,

compassion, avoidance, confusion...

Steve

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Re:photographing the homeless)