Subject: [Leica] 35mm Stainless Steel Reels
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Jan 19 17:52:24 2007

At 07:49 PM 1/19/2007, Jeffery Smith wrote:
 >Yikes! Kindermann stainless steel stuff is like totally expensive.

Hmm.  I've not priced these reels for a decade as
I loaded up on them when I learned of their
existence in the early 1990's.  But, at that
time, a Hewes reel cost around $15 and I doubt if
it is a lot more today.  Buy cheap, get
cheap.  Contemplate the amount of frustration you
get from Samigon reels and consider the extra
time you need to load them.  Stress reduction
equals Hewes Reels or, at the least, Kindermann.

You can bounce a Hewes reel off the floor and it
will not warp.  These guys are good to go for a
lifetime.  My grandkids will be using mine long
after I'm correcting Oscar Barnack for his
mistakes, out there in the Great Beyond.

You will invest $US 345,750 in a Leica M8 but
won't invest $20 in a quality dark-room
reel?  Are we having some priority problems?

Buy cheap, get cheap.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!