Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Jan 19 16:05:31 2007

On 20/01/2007, at 10:50, <larry.k@rcn.com> wrote:

>   Oh, no, Kyle wasn't being ironic, that would be a "shortcut to
> meaning" and he
> obviously doesn't take shortcuts to meaning, he takes the long way
> around.
>
> Larry
>

> -----
> Reading what you and Adam have written, it surely cannot be any
> surprise
> whatsoever that it is said that Americans think irony is a foreign
> language.
>
> Nick

I learnt long ago NOT to try to be too funny or ironic/sarcastic on
the e-mail. Different cultures get it all WRONG with Aussie humour
and so I try mainly to leave it alone. You will also be very quickly
mis-quoted. Kyle's commandments are "tongue in cheek", and a way of
reminding us to work harder to achieve good images, not look for
shortcuts.

I would also think Kyle can look after himself on the web, so lets
not get into a battle over this one

Cheers

Alastair