Subject: [Leica] Re:photographing the homeless
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 13:15:36 2007

Here's an article from The New York Times on Thursday,  Jan. 18, with a
large
photograph of a homeless man, who was sued for  $1 million by a Manhattan
antiques dealer for  parking himself in front of the store and making
customers
shy  away...

_http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/nyregion/18suit.html?_r=1&oref=slogin_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/nyregion/18suit.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

When I was much younger, I took many pictures of the  destitute in various
foreign countries and never gave it a second thought.  As I look upon it
now, I
believe we have a responsibility to the  unfortunate and must give them
their
right to the same privacy that we want for  ourselves.

On my honeymoon in Peru ages ago, I took photographs  of Indians in the
doorway of their humble huts, although they did not exactly  welcome it.

In Puerto Rico around the same time, when one of the  popular tunes on the
radio was: "Cuando llegar? la televisi?n?" When will  television come?, I
took
pictures in the slums of all the television antennas on  the rooftops of all
the shacks...But when I gave a slide show there of these and  other upscale
photographs , my wife [who is Puerto Rican] and all her  friends were very
critical of the slum photographs...It was the first -- and  last -- time
I've shown
the pictures...

Still, as The New York Times story demonstrates, the  homeless remain a
major
challenge and if we treat the subject with  care, I, for one, do not believe
we should bury it as we used to do with the  drugs and alcoholism that
plagued
the blacks in Harlem.

The rats from the slums have a habit of finding their  way to Park Avenue...

 -- bob cole

From:  "Kyle Cassidy"
Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Re:photographing the homeless)