Subject: [Leica] There's something about German design ...
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Jan 15 13:46:01 2007

At 04:25 PM 1/15/2007, B. D. Colen wrote:
 >:-)
 >By the way - Has anyone thought about the fact that the American industrial
 >enterprise, and the fact that it, unlike Germany's manufacturing effort,
 >was
 >not being bombed out of existence, had allot to do with our being
 >ultimately
 >able to prevail over the Nahzees?

BD

This had a significant effect but German
production just wasn't on par with ours or, for
that matter, with that of the British.  Bear in
mind that a standard tool at Wetzlar through the
life of the mechanical Leica cameras and in
Sweden through the life of the Hasselblads was a
rubber hammer, to bend everything to fit.  Such
never took place in Rochester, New York, I suspect, or in Delaware, Ohio.

The British were outproducing the Germans in
everything -- aircraft, guns, ammunition,
submarines, surface vessels, tanks, und so weiter
-- before the Battle of Britain and kept up this
lead through the War.  The addition of the US
industrial base -- weakened as it was by the VERY
late turn to mobilization and the neglect of
factories caused by a decade of Depression-era
idleness -- simply ensured an Allied victory.

Speer attempted to turn Germany from an industry
of excellent, hand-fitted products to one of
mass-production but his efforts were late and
were often thwarted by his political rivals such
as Goering and Himmler.  One example:  shortly
after he was appointed the Minister for
Armaments, Speer placed the head of Zeiss, Heinz
K?ppenbender, in charge of the German optical
industry.  Speer then told K?ppenbender to
rationalize EVERYTHING optical within the German
sphere, to include French and Czech and Roumanian
companies.  In the end, K?ppenbender stopped
Leitz lens production and restricted camera
production to small runs of IIIc cameras for
export to Sweden and Switzerland and Spain to pay
for Swedish ball-bearings and Spanish Wolframite
and the like.  Zeiss then had excess lens
production capacity, so K?ppenbender directed
that Carl Zeiss Jena produce Contax RF BM lenses
in LTM to be sold with these export
cameras.  Leitz spent the later War years
cranking out artillery gunsights and rangefinders
and, of course, those prized "blc"
Dienst-fernglass binoculars.  Speer and
K?ppenbender increased German optical production
four-fold and more over its 1940 levels, which is
why so many of these "blc" binoculars appear in
the US market as their original owners, who had
captured them on the field of battle, die off.

Speer made similar efforts in every aspect of
German industry but his efforts were thwarted by
the "round the clock" bombing of the "Mighty
Eighth" and Bomber Command.  Still, he managed to
have German aircraft production reach its highest
levels in late 1944 but, by that time, the
destruction of the German transport grid ensured
that airplane motors remained at one location,
airframes at another, and guns at a third, and
mating them up became impossible in a world of
collapsed tunnels and bombed bridges.  An
interviewer once remarked to Speer that one of
the great issues in the Allied air war had been
the US insistence on having a central office for
selecting targets, something which "Bomber"
Harris found impossible to accept.  Speer's
response was to point out that he did not know
whether Germany would have benefited more from a
US-dominated central-targeting office or a
British-dominated one, as neither air force
seemed capable of understanding what hurt Germany
the most, the destruction of the transport grid
and the elimination of the artificial fuel
factories, until the closing days of the War.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] There's something about German design ...)