Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera or photographer?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sat Jan 13 18:33:35 2007

On Jan 13, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Ted wrote:
>
>> Quite frankly I've always bought Leica range finder cameras for such a
>> simple reason ..... "THEY ARE THE BEST TOOLS IN MY HANDS FOR THE KIND
>> OF DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY I'VE ALWAYS DONE!" Approximately 50 years
>> plus, PERIOD! No other reason! Baubles be damned!
>>
>> Have they made a difference in the quality of my photography? You bet
>> yer sweet ass it has, just look through the books I've done (8)! Or
>> certainly the last 3 medical books, one a large coffee table issue.
>

> You mean to tell me that it is the camera that makes the photograph,
> not the photographer. That any boob with a Leica, even me, can produce
> prize winning works.

IMHO it's not the just the camera and it's not just the photographer.
It's how the two interact with the light and subject and the time/space
continuum.  In my case a viewfinder that isn't the
equal of the SL's viewfinder is a struggle to use, even the second-best
viewfinder in the R8.  There are pictures I get with the SL that I miss
with the R4 or R8 or any of my Nikon cameras.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com