Subject: [Leica] Cricket images MCG
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Jan 11 06:11:16 2007

Ric, I am by no means expert. I don't follow a lot of team sport frankly.
Nevertheless you can hardly be an Aussie and not have some
appreciation. Here is a simplistic description of the game. As you may
appreciate there is quite a bit of tradition and jargon
associated with the game.
While there are shorter, more modern versions of the game, the traditional
competition takes place over several days. Nations having
teams include Australia, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand,
West Indies, South Africa and Zimbabwe.
Each side has 11 players. Within a test match each team normally bats twice
and bowls (pitches) twice. Bowling is a formal over arm
action which is quite odd compared to a baseball pitch, I suppose. The ball
is typically bounced on the hard ground (pitch) in front
of the batsman. It is intended to bounce up to either hit the three stumps
(wickets)behind the batsman or cause him to hit (even
just a tiny snick) the ball so that one of the bowler's team catches the
ball on the full. The bowler may typically bowl the ball
very quickly, perhaps approaching 90 mph or so or he may cause the ball to
spin so that it bounces unexpectedly. A very good spin
might angle dramatically after bouncing and confound the batsman. It is also
possible to dismiss the batsman by hitting his legs (if
they are in front of the stumps)when he doesn't play a shot with his bat.
The batsman attempts to hit the ball out of reach of the
fielding team. He runs to the other end of the pitch, swapping places with a
second batsman at the other end. Each time they swap
ends without the ball hitting their stumps is one run. Hitting the ball all
the way to the boundary scores more runs (4). Hitting it
over the fence without a bounce scores six runs. Once all of the batting
team are out by being caught or their wickets hit, the
other team bats. A very good score for a batsman might be 100 or more runs,
but it is by no means certain and even the best batsman
might be out for a low or 0 score. A side might for example score 150 runs
say (a low score) or 500 or more.
So whichever team has the most runs after the two innings (turns at bat) is
the winner.
The attractions for the fans include the competition between the bowlers and
batsmen. The catching is often extremely fast and
athletic. For example a catch might happen only a couple of metres from the
bat at full speed (perhaps .5 second reaction time or
after the ball has travelled all the way to the edge of the ground. The
batting and bowling skills are very subtle and fascinating
to the cognoscenti.
An additional benefit is that there is considerable national pride in the
competition and all of the teams have very skilled and
popular members within their home countries. Currently it would be fair to
say that Australia is the dominant country. The current
series of five matches between Australia and England has just finished with
Australia regaining the perpetual trophy, if you like,
which was won by England on the last occasion.
Australia defeating England in a sporting competition is a matter of much
satisfaction locally, akin to say beating an American team
in an international swimming competition.

OK I hope that makes some sense. I have been careful to be polite to our
English brethren in this simple description. At no time did
I mention the 5-0 result of the five matches, oh sorry England  LUG, that
just slipped out. We LUG folk include folks from three
fiercely keen cricketing countries, the third being India which also has a
world class and formidable team.

Cheers
Hoppy