Subject: [Leica] OT: Roux recipe
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 9 12:09:43 2007

In a message dated 1/9/2007 1:54:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,
michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl writes:

Hi  Douglas,

Is this an American variety?
As far as I know roux is made  with butter.
Escoffier gives 50 butter to 60 flour, in 'Ma cuisine however  he says 50/50.
The New Professional Chef (TM)  by Culinary Institute  of America also
mentioned any fat can be used. And of course they are  right.

I usually use  a vegetable oil, though I have used bacon drippings.  I also
sometimes make  a microwave roux .  It goes something like this:

In a 4 cup measuring cup:

2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup flour

Microwave uncovered for 6 minutes on high
 stir
cook one more minute to darken

Roux is VERY hot, be careful

add Holy Trinity
2 cups of onion chopped,
1 cup celery chopped
1/4 cup bell peppers

Stir and return to Microwave for three minutes

add four toes of garlic, smashed and sliced
some chopped parsley and green onion tops

Microwave for two minutes

Some oil will rise to top, spoon it off and add hot water by spoonful until
you get to the 4 cup mark.

Stir, and this is enough for several dishes, and you can freeze it.

Watch the roux, though, you don't want too burn it, just get it nutty
tasting.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] OT: Roux recipe)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] OT: Roux recipe)