Subject: [Leica] Ivory-Billed and autofocus
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 9 07:43:36 2007

Ric Carter <ricc@mindspring.com> wrote:

> An interesting note (on-topic) from the Florida search for the Ivory-
> Billed Woodpecker.
>
>> Tyler?s encounter was a great photo opportunity, but the camera
>> failed us. Tyler?s SLR was set to auto focus and it focused instead
>> of taking photos during the couple of seconds the bird was in front
>> of him. This is extremely frustrating for all of us, but we are
>> getting very close to a photograph of these woodpeckers. We?ll have
>> a photo or video soon.

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/cosam/departments/biology/facult
y/webpages/hill/ivorybill/Updates.html

tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/w3wb6

note also the previous entry on this page:

"Brian saw a large, long-winged woodpecker with white trailing edges fly
from the spot... Unfortunately, Brain failed to capture an image of the
fleeing bird?the auto focus on the camera focused on trees and bushes in
the foreground as the bird flew off ..."

'nuff said.  The right tool for the job IMHO is an f/6.8 Telyt on an SL MOT.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .