Subject: [Leica] OT Mongolia Trip
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Tue Jan 9 06:15:05 2007

Nelson Chan wrote:

> I was warned that the weather will be harshed and expect -10 C and
> below temperature plus the wind chill factor.  Thank you for your
> advise and will surely bring along sufficient warm clothing for this
> trip.

When it is cold remember your batteries die much quicker and if you do
take a digital be sure you have backup batteries.

> I guess we intend to shoot, Landscape, People and the Spring Festival
> Ceremonies.  I was thinking of bringing along two M6s, 35mm, 50mm and
> 21mm. Is the 75mm and 90mm worth bringing?  Another option is to bring
> one M6, 35mm and 50mm plus Rolleiflex TLR/Bronica RF645 with 45mm,
> 65mm and 100mm. I will most probably use Kodak portra 400 and tri-x
> for this trip.  I may bring along a small digital PS too.

Spring Festival events?  The be sure you take color film, from what I
have seen of Chinese things they tend to be quite colorful with lots of
reds and golds...especially at Spring Festival...you have to wear red in
the new year to have good luck.  I'd take the two M6es and lenses up to
the 90 and forget the rest.  The Ms are small enough to not be a burden
and give top notch quality.  I'd not take  50, 75 and 90, probably just
50 90..unless the 90 is a 2.8 then I'd leave it home and take the 75.

Have fun...this is something I have been pondering myself as I am
probably going this summer with my wife.  The only thing I want before
the trip is a 12mm CV lens to be wider than my 28 is.  I do not care to
take digital on a trip like that for worries of downloading and charging
batteries.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography