Subject: [Leica] Re: Remote flash
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Jan 8 08:12:59 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 2:24 AM, Bob asked:

>  Is there a generic device that can be placed in the hot shoe of
> any Leica M or Nikon SLR that can fire a single non-TTL remote
> flash either by wireless or IR?

Porters and numerous other camera stores sell a remote flash trigger
for about $15. I use several of these attached to the mounting shoes
of Olympus Auto 310 flash units which are used as modeling and
background flashes in my "studio." A very small, cheap camera mounted
strobe flash emits enough light to trigger the bigger flashes yet
does not materially illuminate the scene. This technique will work
with any camera and even with P&S cameras with built in flashes. If
the camera mounted flash emits too much light, drape a couple of
layers of Kleenex over it. The flash triggers seem to respond to the
quick rise time of the camera mounted flash rather than the amount of
light emitted.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Remote flash)