Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Dec 30 15:41:40 2006

I will chime in on this one, someone may have answered, but the topic
certainly got hijacked ;-)

I have used the SF24D with the M8: it syncs on 250th sec (and the
shutter does open for variable times), BUT there is an annoying "lag"
when used on TTL: a small pre-flash is shot, the TTL measurement made
and then the shutter opens and the flash proper fires: I found this
annoying and the delay long enough for the dogs to react to the "pre-
flash" before the main image was made, so I found myself using the
Auto sensor on the flash gun.

I did not have the M8 long enough to really put the flash through its
paces, but if you want the quasi TTL flash measurement, you should be
very happy with the SF24D. I suspect if flash is only for "snaps" and
as "emergency lighting, you will be happy with the SF20 using the
sensor on the flash itself, and checking the results on the monitor:
you can then adjust the flash to suit the sensor: I find a flash
power of almost one stop slower works well
'
Cheers

alastair

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Best flash for M8?)