Subject: [Leica] Pardon me sir, but it that a camera?
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Dec 29 13:19:37 2006

Hank Kellner wrote:

>Surrounded by about six million tourists sporting digital cameras, I
>stood on a street recently in one of those well-known tourist
>traps in the Caribbean  with my M-4 with 50 mm Summicron gripped in
>my right hand. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a young
>man--about twenty years old, I guess--who kept looking at me.
>       After a few minutes, the observer  approached me. I couldn't
> help noticing that he was wearing a digital camera that looked
>like a tank.
>Attached to the camera was a lens so big and bulky that it could
>have picked out a fly on the moon.
>       When he was about three feet from me, the young man stopped;
> leaned toward me; pointed to my M-4; and asked, "Pardon me sir,
>but is that a camera?"
>       Well, I thought, I definitely am a member of a disappearing breed.

In very early September, I had the chance to use a pre-production M8
for a week.

One day, I took it to the local park, where a bunch of young kids
were having a soccer match..

One of the parents looked at the M8 with 75mm Summicron and said
"What a *nice* old camera!".

I offered that it was new.

"Oh... new to you", she said.

"Actually, quite new", I said.

And we left it at that.

Hey! At least she recognized it as a camera! ;-)

Cheers!

---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA