Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Dec 28 20:21:17 2006

At 9:45 PM -0500 12/28/06, Stan Yoder wrote:
>>The M8 sensor is a KODAK Full Frame CCD image sensor.
>>

>Kodak, yes, but NOT full-frame, i.e., 24x36mm.
>
>It is 18x27mm, or a tad more than HALF-frame. That's why the
>focal-length factor is 1:1.33, not the 1:1 of full-frame.
>
>Stan Yoder
>Pittsburgh

In this context 'full-frame' refers to the method of image capture,
not the sensor size.

It is a 'full-frame', not an 'interline' sensor.

Both these terms could refer to a 1/2.5" sensor or a 36mm x 48mm sensor.

Frank, as far as I know accurate electronic gating with full frame
sensors is problematic; much more so at present than using a proven
design like the M8 shutter. The mechanical shutter has to have even
travel, but that is the case for either film or digital sensor.

The sensor is armed ('sensitized') and then the shutter is used to
limit the amount of photons. Thereafter the sensor is disarmed, and
the values gathered are read. Integration of the photon energy per
photo site is over the time the sensor is armed, but of course light
only hits the sensor when the shutter slit is open over it. It does
not all have to be open at the same time or to the same extent, just
as variations in light are allowed in front of it as well as movement.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design