Subject: [Leica] Re:M4 variants
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Sun Dec 24 09:53:49 2006

> M4, M4-2, M4-P. I haven't been able to get any Leica book that says that
> one
> was superior to another, but have heard anecdotal information that (1) the
> M4 was best built of all Leica M bodies [I think the current MP gets that
> award], and (2) either the M4-2 or the M4-P is not up to M2, M3, or M4
> quality. The M4 seems to be the most coveted of the three, but that might
> be
> because it is a better "collector".

The M4 is most coveted because it was the last of the classic M bodies
assembled by the post-war workers in Wetzlar (although there are some
Canadian M4s as well).  Many Leica users and Leicaphiles view everything
that followed as lesser quality.

The M4-2 was a somewhat economized version, production of which was moved to
Canada.  There were early teething troubles, but note that this has been the
case with almost every Leica M body.  After the earliest production, the
finder was modified sightly to reduce costs but the result was that the
finder is more subject to flare than the M4/M2 finder.  The M4-2 was the
first that would take a motor without factory modification, but the steel
gear in the geartrain makes it feel less smooth.  The M4-2, like the M4-P,
eliminated the self-timer of the M4 and earlier bodies.  For a variety of
reasons, most of which I think are emotional rather than objective, the M4-2
has long been a poor cousin in the M range, and prices usually reflect that
status.  I have gotten the sense that there is a small number of M4-2s that
were produced after they got the bugs ironed out but before the finder was
simplified.  If that were true, that would be a great user body at a great
price, relative to oth
er meterless M bodies.

The M4-P introduced 28mm and 75mm framelines.  It is generally regarded as
better made than the M4-2.  Whether that is really true or true only because
it didn't have the early problems that the M4-2 had, I don't know.  Very
late M4-Ps had zinc alloy top covers, like the M6, with flush windows.  It
is essentially an M6 without a meter.

IMO M6s are a better user than any of these and recent pricing is very good
on M6s, but YMMV.

Season's cheer
John Newell

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re:M4 variants)