Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Dec 23 22:48:50 2006

Zounds, a fast 200mm to which even Nikonoids may cleave.

-Chris Lawson, wondering if the Bokeh King EF200mm f/1.8L will soon crash
dive from rare and amazing to just plain oboslete. And amazing.

 From: "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com>
> The Japanese optical industry is/has removed lead especially and most other
> heavy(toxic) metals from their optical glass over the last five years or
> so.  The hazards to the workers in the smelters became too apparant to
> tolerate any more.  The Canon folks assured me that as they figured out
> optical glasses that don't use toxic materials they would re-issue a
> similar
> lens; with the good success of the Nikon 200 F2 you can bet that Canon will
> bring out a revised version fairly soon.
>
> 0.02
>
> Don
> don.dory@gmail.com

Chris Lawson, insensitive twit, wrote an offending message, now cleansed of
odious content.

> > >  Bonus benefit--the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L.  A lens like no other and no
> > longer
> > >  manufactured, supposedly because of some glass-formulation chemical
> > process that even
non-North American lens manufacturers who shall remain nameless won't
tolerate.

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: The slippery slope - "digital"?)