Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Fri Dec 22 06:08:53 2006

> Canon DSLR vs Nikon DLSR?
>
> 1.  for Canon - can use Leica lenses, but is the sensor inherently better
> (i.e. usage of IR filter in front of sensor)?
> 2.  for Nikon - if I disregard using Leica glass, better sensor?
>
> 3.  Leica DMR - too expensive, and I don't own an R9.
>
> 4.  M8 - too expensive
>
> 5.  RD-1 - good enough, but high probability of "out of box" defect (30% as
> far as I can tell)
>
> I think I won't be going the Leica digital route.
>
> Can anyone speak to Nikon D200 vs D80?
>
> Thanks all for any information that you care to post.
>

> regards
> Vick
>

> --
Hi Vick

May be I can help you. I'm regularly using my Canon EOS 5D. It's IMHO
the best digital camera I ever used. I started using it with a converter
and my Leica R lenses, and with another converter with my Nikon lenses.
Finally I `m using it with the Canon L lenses -14mm, 17-40mm, 24-70mm
and 100-400mm mainly. I love shooting interiors in my trips and the
output is unsurpassed. I have too a Canon EOS 1Ds mkI and MkII and if
resolution may be slightly better noise is not.

As a former owner of film Nikon SLR I have some -more of twenty- Nikkor
lenses and just for remain working with them I bought a Nikon D200. It's
a wonderful camera with very good results but -and for me is a important
but- noise is not at the level of 5D. I do not like the R8-digital back
combo but I thought that my M lenses would profit a Leica M8 that has
not arrived yet and I don't mind to be e *betatester* if necessary as
I'm sure I'll enjoy my time of testing the camera making extensive
comparisons with other digital camera and giving the results to the LUG.

I've used a Nikon D80 and I've found that it is in fact a D200 less
featured but not less performer. Nice camera but noise...

But...if I'll start right now the digital way no doubt: a Canon 5D ans
some Canon L lenses.

Regards.

Felix.