Subject: [Leica] Tina said what?!
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Mon Dec 18 17:10:10 2006

Brian:

> My big Canon SLR with the 85/1.2 lens on it scares children. With a
> longer lens than the 85 on it (such as the 28-70 zoom) it makes them
> cry; they think it is a weapon.

Wow.  While I like the smaller form of my M6, I've never had one of my big
SLRs cause children to cry or women to cross sides of the street.  Dogs to
bark?  Well, that's a given.  :)

Want to talk weapon?  I was out with my big slr, 300/4 + 1.4x a couple weeks
ago at a local park.  A mother approached me as she brought her kid to the
playground.  Smiled and asked how I was doing.  A kid came up to me and
asked what I was doing.  So I told him.  I got a new toy, and I was playing
with it while spending time with my family.  That satisfied him.  A few kids
were asking me to take their photos.

My normal lens is the 35/1.4.  Same filter size as the 85/1.2 and 135/2.
The 35 & 85 are about the same length (with the 35 being just a little bit
longer, if I recall correctly), and the 135 is another inch or so longer.
Never had the 135 scare anybody, either.  I don't have the 85/1.2 because it
doesn't suit my purpose...too slow for AF.  Guess that's not to say there
won't be a first time, but I don't think encountering one unbalanced kid is
reason enough to mothball your SLR.

The main benefit to me is that I don't always want to haul a big SLR around.
5D + grip + 35/1.4 + batteries weighs in 2-3 times what my M6 + 35/2 weigh,
not to mention the extra volume.  That's what got me started with the M line
originally.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/