Subject: [Leica] A newbie here..
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu Dec 14 05:13:00 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 11:57 AM, <larry.k@rcn.com> wrote:

>> Anticipation of the action comes with experience and knowing >the
>> sport.
>
> Ted,
>   Ok, how do you photograph runners in a race? Do you watch for their
> knees to come up and hit that moment? ;-) Do you wait for them to
> collapse? What do you photograph when you're watching 5000 runners
> stream by?
>
>   Does my jumping runner shot here:
>
> http://web.mac.com/mac.hive/iWeb/Site/Street.html
>
>   work in any way?

I think you need to be closer.

>   There was this professional photo unit called Brightroom, standing
> on the sidelines of the race firing their Nikons as fast as their
> buffers would allow. I guess the idea is that you might be able to
> sell some of those frames to the runners. That was real machine gun
> photography in action...

Brightroom specializes (if you can call it that) in mass production.
If you give an infinite number of chimps an equally infinite number of
machine-gun Nikons then in theory there will be a good picture among
the infinite number of exposures.  I've gotten better pictures by
handing my R4 to one of my friends so they can snap one picture as I
run past.  I have never ever purchased a Brightroom photo of one of my
races.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com