Subject: [Leica] lurker speaks re: High ISO thread
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Wed Dec 13 08:13:20 2006

Peter,

I think you protest too much.  The claim Leica makes is this, taken from the
M8 brochure:

"The highest film speed settings of up to
ISO 2500 now allow much more detailed
pictures to be taken than was ever possible
with analog films. As a result, the M8
opens up a new chapter in the history of
available light photography."

It is not a clearly worded claim, but you can see how it might set up the
expectation that the M8 has superior low-light performance to all existing
digital cameras.

I myself have witnessed blotchy blue channel noise in the M8 at ISO 1250,
and strange pattern noise (small horizontal and vertical bars) in RAW files.
  You do not see these things in ISO 1600 color negative film.  This new
chapter has more twists and turns than you might expect.

In addition, if you take long exposure (2 to 4 secs) with the lens cap on,
you will see much more dark-frame noise than you would expect, pointing to a
deficiency in the dark frame noise subtraction techniques. If you run the
same experiment with a Nikon D200 with long exposure noise reduction
enabled, you get no visible noise at all!

I look forward to the return of my M8 from Solms so I can investigate how
the new and improved M8 performs at high ISO.

Mark Davison