Subject: [Leica] Re: More on Wi-Fi
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Dec 12 20:08:03 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Monte wrote:

> So Larry, if I was going for only one computer in the house (laptop
> w/DSL
> connect)
> and wanted to keep thinks wireless (printer etc) I would need
> Bluetooth and
> Wi-Fi also??
>
> Montie

If you are only going to use the computer in the house, don't bother
with a laptop. You will get more for your money in a desktop
computer. I like the 20" iMac Intel for about $1200. If you have a
student in the house or some connection with an educational
institution, no matter how tenuous, you can get Apple's educational
discount. As you can guess, I'm a dedicated Mac fan, at least for
graphic work.

But if you want a laptop, most come with Wi-Fi built in. The
additional cost is negligible. People actually want to carry laptops
out of the house, say to Starbucks, and surf the web while ingesting
lattes. If you have DSL, plug directly into the modem with ethernet
while you are at home. Use the Wi-Fi when you roam.

Incidentally some cameras now come with a Wi-Fi link. You can
download your pictures directly to your laptop or to the internet
without a physical connection. My traveling computer is an Apple G4
12" Powerbook. It is a little gem of a computer. Ask anyone who owns
one. It comes with high speed Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a DVD writing drive.
and a beautiful aluminum case. Unfortunately it is no longer
available new and must be purchased as used or refurbished. But it is
capable of running Apple's latest operating system, Photoshop CS, and
iLife. I have over 4000 digital pictures filed in iPhoto and just
last week completed and burned a two hour DVD movie. The display is a
bit small for extensive photo editing but I use a desk computer for
that.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from montoid at earthlink.net (Montie) ([Leica] Re: More on Wi-Fi)