Subject: [Leica] Re: Chimps and gorillas
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Dec 12 11:34:47 2006

On 12/12/06 8:58 AM, "larry.k@rcn.com" <larry.k@rcn.com> typed:

> Walt,
>   I don't discount our human failings but humans continue to thrive and
> make
> incredible advances. I thought I was a cynic, but you beat me.
>
>>> This "immensely improved" aspect might need a closer >>inspection. I'd
>>> gladly give up Beethoven, Bach and the >>Beatles for a more peaceful
>>> existence.
>
>   Give up such amazing music for grunting in the bush? Not me. I might go
> back
> if we only had the Beatles... ;-)
>
>>> Visit a geriatrics ward and see how breathtaking modern
>>> medicine can be.
>
>   The fact that these people are still above ground and not below ground
> proves the value of modern medicine. The fact that society does not allow
> them
> to contribute or gives them respect in old age is another matter.
>
>> Math, physics and optics are major servants of
>> governments. They  in turn use these accomplishments to wage >war with
>> human
>> decency and each other.
>
>   The computers we use, the lenses we buy, are all products of human
> thought.
> All human inventions can be used for good or ill purposes.
>
>> I'll accept  these breathtaking human accomplishments but >not when
>> compared
>> to chimps. Let's weight them with what >could or should have been done
>> with
>> our alleged superior >capabilities.
>
>   I don't see how this makes any sense. Nothing against the chimps but
> we've
> outperformed our cousins by a large margin, even with all of our problems.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Larry K.

They excel in the swinging through trees event.
A better way to travel than many. I'm envious.
Any of them are better than Tarzan.
The only human who ever had the slightest luck at it at all as he started at
a VERY early age.

I used to watch Tarzan movies and wonder why they didn't replace public
transportation with big trees with vines hanging down.
Could be the snakes.

You can laugh at Tarzan.
But he's a Penguin Twentieth-Century Classic.
Right up there next to the shelf with
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Finnegans Wake
This Side of Paradise