Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 11:25:12 2006

Hello Bob,
 You have raised some interesting points. It is pretty clear that dogs and
humans co-evolved over a long period of time, as you pointed out. It does
appear that dogs are able to display a high level of empathy towards their
human keepers. I'm sure that empathy took a long time to develop, learning
to wait for your master to feed you instead of eating your master! ;-)

  Another example of co-evolution exists between insects (pollinators) and
flowers. Flowers don't have color just so that Henning can take those
beautiful photographs. Flowers attract insects with their colors and
dispense nectar as a reward so that the insects will pollinate other
flowers. Food for sex. This co-evolution took place over millions of years.

 This makes me think of my old beekeeping days, using honeybees to satisfy
my need for sugar... ;-)

  Regards,

  Larry

An evolutionist made some interesting observations about why dogs are so
different from the wolves they evolved from. It wasn't merely a matter of
mutation, but of the effects of adrenalin which made changes very rapidly in
behavior and particularly in appearance because the dog had different
emotional demands. No wolf has floppy ears, nor do wolves bark. He also
pointed out that dogs evolved from lazy wolves, who hung around human haunts
to scavange for leftovers.

So dogs have smaller brains than wolves because they didn't need much
intelligence to scrounge food. Beats hunting every time, that requres a lot
of brainpower.

And make no mistake about it, we humans were influenced by the dogs that
hung out with us. Which explains why many of us love dogs often more than
human beings. And why we spend a fortune on them. Dogs know how to
ingratiate themselves.

Me, I have no particular liking for dogs. But they keep the kids busy and
test the AF speed of my cameras and are essential for the walking cure.

Bob