Subject: [Leica] A modern Leica
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Dec 11 01:42:09 2006

On 12/11/06 3:44 AM, "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@northcoastphotos.com>
typed:

>>  Does the image stabilization work on the 330? Cheers
>> Alastair
>
> Darn right Alastair - that Image Stabilization works great on the
> Olympus E-330 - just plunk her down on a table, counter top or floor
> and shoot at 1 second exposure - perfect framing with the tilted
> live-view screen - no problem and no shake! Howard is right, too  -
> the Digiliux 3 / Lumix L1 doesn't have the features that makes the
> E-330 special. Also the Lumix is larger and bulkier than the Olympus.
> In comparison the Lumix felt big and clunky, though I wouldn't mind
> trying the Leica zoom optics on my E-330.
>
> I've seen the results of the questionnaire that David Young did on a
> potential R10 (Thanks David!). 84 percent said that live view was
> "not important"! Are Leica folks really that stuck on "tradition" and
> not on creativity? I wonder how many people told Edison that electric
> lights were not important - gas works just fine thank you. Live view
> is barely here and I can hardly wait for a forward thinking engineer
> to put the camera viewfinder in my  eye glasses - and why
> not?!  Leica only got to where we revere it now because they busted
> the mold for cameras 60 years ago. They have a chance to break
> photography wide open again while most of the world is still
> designing cameras like they are meant to hold FILM!
>
> C'mon guys - are you shooting pictures or fondling a piece of metal
> and glass? If Leica pays attention to that 84% kind of response on
> the R10 survey, then are we doomed to another round of ten year-old
> designs with occasional colored leather and some silly engravings on
> meticulous camera bodies that will never see the light of day, much
> less take an actual photograph? The E-330 is just a beginning of what
> can happen with digital - small, and handy, super optics, dependable
> and one of the most creative picture taking machines to appear in
> many years. Hmmm . . . sounds like a certain camera that started with
> "M" in the 1950's. Only now it's almost 2007, and I'm waiting to see
> if Leica can actually do the E-330 one better. They are talking like
> it could happen. But are their engineers casting off the restraints
> of tradition and really designing outside the box, both literally and
> figuratively? If they could just shed those R and M blinders, a
> modern Leica could be a real wonder!
>
> Gary Todoroff
> Tree LUGger
> http://northcoastphotos.com/

LIVE VIEW is one of the key features that people who have never shot a
digital picture in their lives and have no interest in doing so are adamant
about never needing in that digital camera they're never going to buy.

People who are afraid, hesitant, out of the loupe, bored - had quite strong
opinions on the features of say... The Leica M8 as well. As well as the
Panasonics with Leica names on them.
AND they make these opinions known and these opinions seem to pack much
weight!!

Questioning people want to know!

I think the news should be separate from Blogs.
They are just not one and the same thing.
In fact they are darned close to opposites.

Mark (Blogged to Death) Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W