Subject: [Leica] OT: Garlic (was: Mayo)
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (jon.stanton@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 19:02:43 2006

Peter,

Try to find "Episote" an herb (legal) that may resolve your problem. I have
a 2 acre organic farm and will be growing it next year.  I'm in my mid 50's
and consume about a pound of garlic (fresh and bottled) a week. Fortunately
I've never had a reaction.

The man running my 2 acres is from Ecuador and very familiar with episote.
He taught Agriculture at UC Santa Cruz has worked with John Jevons (Father
of Bio Dynamic gardening) and was a foreman at Molino Creek Co-Op. Santa
Cruz.

Here is one bit of info I gleaned from google. I'll try to find more.

"Rick Bayless
Chef/owner Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill in Chicago, known for his skills
in cooking Mexican food, creates a Black Bean Tortilla Casserole and Rick's
Refried Beans. Bayless offers a number of tips for his dish, such as using
an herb called episote to add taste to (and remove gas from) beans; and
buying tortillas produced locally, and without preservatives, if possible."