Subject: [Leica] IMG: Warning...No Midtones!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Dec 9 09:51:27 2006

On 12/9/06 8:37 AM, "Walt Johnson" <walt@waltjohnson.com> typed:

> Montie
>
> Two questions. Where went all the mid tones and do you travel with a
> companion who silhouettes for you? :-)
>
> Montie wrote:
>
>> Well, I couldn't sleep due to a day filled with too much
>> coffee soooooo I decided it might be a good time to
>> upload some photos into the gallery...it's 2:50 AM eastern
>> (at least Rabiner is probably still up).
>>
>> 5 images from my "Antiquity" series...I'm putting these
>> together for competition so critique hard if you will.
>> More to follow as I get them scanned. (commercially).
>>
>> These images all started life as Kodachromes...all but one
>> were projected printed onto 8x10 high contrast copy film
>> and then contacted neg to pos for a generation or two with
>> the finals ending up as 4x5 commercial copy negs - (MP3)
>> copy camera.  Scanned into photoshop (imacon) for adding
>> some lighting effects and a few middle densities.
>>
>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/montoid/MONTIE16.jpg.html>

Looks like developed in a lye developer like D8
Or high alkalinity carbonate film contrast developer like D11 or D19. Or a
paper developer.
And printed on Agfa Brovira #6 in Straight Dektol. No chasers.
Shaken but not stirred.
Very effective line shots usually they look like hell.
"Kodoliths" my friends used to call them
But that's a brand name.
Like calling a tissue a "Kleenex".
So  many classic black and white shots in our memories or at least mine or
Kodachrome. Lots of Helmut Newton's shots like in that big book.
Speaking of which I was picking up my film at Duggal the night before last
and I was crossing over to find Broadway because I was on the wrong street
and there was this very tall women with an extremely tall package heading
toward me on the dark farily empty street with dyed blond hair.
And it was Sigourney Weaver! She looked warily at me as we passed on the
sidewalk. When I got home I started a "celebrity watch" database.
I saw a guy in Greenwich Village (my first time there) with white hair who
I've seen in a million movies but have been driving myself crazy as to which
ones so I can add him to my database. A great character actor! Probably in a
Broadway or off Broadway show at this point. One of those lovable character
actors.

Mark Rabiner

Replies: Reply from vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] IMG: Warning...No Midtones!!)
Reply from montoid at earthlink.net (Montie) ([Leica] IMG: Warning...No Midtones!!)