Subject: [Leica] Re:High ISOs Comparison (Tina Manley)
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Dec 6 10:18:14 2006

At 11:24 AM 12/6/2006, you wrote:
>Nothing outperforms, concerning noise, the EOS
>5D, not even the 1Ds mkII that may be better in
>other image quality aspects but not in noise.
>The /raison d'?tre/ of the Leica M8 is not
>getting the *best* digital image quality
>available but getting pictures from a
>rangefinder with the legendary Leica M lenses.
>In few words it is not the best digital camera
>in the world but an outsanding Leica M digital
>camera. I'm anxiously awaiting mine.
>
>Regards.
>
>F?lix.

I agree totally, Felix.  I did the experiments
hoping that I would be able to use the M8 in some
low light situations.  That's where my M7's and
6's shine with very fast lenses.  Now I know I'll
be able to use my M8's with fast lenses but only
at 360 ISO and above.  I was surprised that the
results were so noisy when the 2500 ISO that I took with the loaner M8 is
not:
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/69803984
I did run that one through Noise Ninja, but not
even Noise Ninja helped the inside shots
much.  Looks like I'll be using both the Canons and the Leica for most jobs
:-(

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com