Subject: [Leica] Re: Old electronics
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Dec 5 06:46:54 2006

Back a few years ago there was a company that accepted old computer
boards to salvage the gold from the contacts. But as the devices got
cheaper and cheaper, less and less gold was used and salvage became
uneconomic. As for the lead in CRTs, most of it is in the tube glass
to stop harmful x-rays from getting out. Again, there used to be
several tube recyclers who would break off the neck of the defunct
picture tube and weld on a new electron gun. No more. The only users
of recycled highly leaded  glass are optical companies and makers of
leaded crystal goblets (Swarovski?).

I am fortunate in that my town has a couple of hazardous material
disposal days. All forms of failed electronics, pesticides,
chemicals, and scrap metal are accepted, no questions asked. I
understand that the recovered materials are loaded into giant
containers and then shipped off to Solms where they are fabricated
into Leica M8s.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Re: Old electronics)